Welcome

This blog is first and foremost for me...
(I'm a Mom, there's not a lot in my life that's just for me anymore!). I also wanted to create a healthier way to share and vent my feelings about being physically limited... the other option was to scream and curse a lot, not so productive or healthy :o)


Second, I wanted to create a blog that other disabled and/or physically challenged parents could check out from time to time. Being a parent is extremely rewarding, but it's also a really tough job. Add pain and not-so-functional body parts and calling it a challenge doesn't even come close.

Thank you for reading.
I hope you find something helpful here. Sometimes it's nice just to know there are others out there, floating in the same waters, keeping a leaky boat afloat...




Monday, July 7, 2008

canes should not fall down...

I'm using my cane all the time now.
This has lead to the following critique of canes:
1.
There's no where to put a cane when you are stationary and need both hands to do whatever you're trying to do (laundry, dishes, cooking...) I usually end up holding the cane under one of my armpits while I try to do things with not quite two hands free. Which leads me to number two.

2.canes do not stay where you lean them, they slip and slide down whatever surface they are leaned against. This is extremely annoying considering those of us who walk with a cane, aren't the best at bending over to pick things up

3.
canes make really fantastic swords and/or dog-wacking devices. This is altogether too much of a temptation for my son. Which leaves me "caneless" while he battles the dogs with his cane-sword.

If I come up with any solutions I'll take photos and post them here, who knows maybe there's lots of money in innovative mobility device designs.

No comments: